Put a Trial-Ready Family Law Firm On Your Side Where Your Best Interests Are Our Top Priority

Can I Modify My Child Support Payments?

Life never stays the same and sometimes we must endure hardships, such as the loss of a job, a cut in pay, or a severe and debilitating illness. To accommodate the hurdles life can sometimes throw at us, the court makes it possible for child support orders to be modified. However, it is important that you make this request as soon as possible. Otherwise, if you simply fail to make your payments without seeking a modification, you will still be responsible for them.

A Change in Circumstances

If you and your former spouse are able to agree on having the child support order modified, this can greatly simplify your situation since all you would need to do is have the new order documented and signed by a judge. If a judge does not sign off on the new order and your former spouse has a change of heart later on, you will be responsible for the amount that you missed, so make sure the agreement you make is official.

Oftentimes, reaching an agreement regarding child support modification is difficult for former spouses. If this is the case for you, you will need to file a motion with the court to request the modification. For a modification of your child support order to be granted, however, you will have to prove that there has been a change in circumstances that now prevent you from making your child support payments.

Some changes in circumstances that will qualify for a modification of your child support order include:

  • You involuntarily lost your job or experienced a reduction in your income
  • You are responsible for the support of a new child
  • You became disabled
  • There have been notable changes in other factors that the court took into consideration when the order was first made

Short-Term Emergencies

Modifications can either be permanent or temporary, depending on the circumstances. If your hardship is only temporary or you are experiencing a short-term emergency, a temporary modification of your child support order can be granted. For example, if you have a medical emergency or lose your job, these could warrant a temporary modification of your child custody order.

Child Support Modification in Newton

If you need to modify your child support order, it is critical that you hire a knowledgeable attorney who is experienced in handling such matters. At The Halks Firm in Newton, our divorce modification attorneys are skilled in handling requests for modifications and will do what is necessary to ensure you are able to obtain the relief you need for your change in circumstances.

Get started on filing your request for modification today and contact our law office at (781) 995-0107 to find out more about how we can help you.